It’s become a tradition for me to share a compilation of 1-second micro-videos I took of each day throughout the year. This special “Pandemic Edition” doesn’t have as much travel as in previous years — the fun theme of travel was replaced with less fun but but still important “Brady Bunch” sneaky captures of Zooms with friends, colleagues and audiences of remote conferences I spoke at.
I started capturing these seconds for my own benefit — there are 86,400 seconds in a day, so I should be able to find at least 1 highlight moment in each. In 2019 I decided to share my compilation with all of you because most of the moments captured are not only mine, but also yours. Every person who made it into my seconds, or was at an event that a second represents, is a part of my journey just as much as I’m a part of theirs.
Lots of people reflect negatively on 2020, but in spite of all the chaos and upheaval of normality, there’s still a lot of good stuff to remember. I want to take this opportunity to reflect on the great times we had together. If that’s you, then thanks for being a part of my 2020.
Highlights and Major Events:
- Sold almost all furniture, etc. and moved from Melbourne to Sydney
- Got offered a dream job to develop space tech businesses with the CSIRO, with a dream salary, but rejected it in favour of Moonshot
- Getting to race yachts in Sydney Harbour regularly (thanks David!)
- Making friends with a couple of rainbow lorikeets who joined me spontaneously for lunch one day (August 12)
- Building my own electronic Christmas tree
- Met a bunch of amazing people and made new friends in Sydney
- Closed raising my first investment fund, and it’s for space tech startups 🚀
These aren’t goals or metrics I track for optimisation, I just think they’re interesting to reflect on.
- I only got sick once in 2020. The most horrible flu I’ve ever had, which I woke up to on January 1. It’s weird that it’s now been over a year without being sick, since I always get sick several times a year! 🤒
- My travel log shows I covered 6,042 km, spanning the globe 0.15 times — 17.3 times less travel than in 2019 😱
- I traveled to 66 locations across 2 states and 1 territory of 1 country only 🛫
- I spent 131 hours doing physical training, moving 656,951 kg, and breaking personal records 106 times. That’s 110 hours less than 2019, due to COVID restrictions, but an extra third of the volume over the year despite it. 💪
- 2,158,023 steps and 1,579.6 km walked, 4,574,543 kJ burned overall. 🚶♂️